I have now managed the syncopated diagonals.
The diagonals slope upward from the left, as knitted.
Essentially, this involved reversing the brioche stitch and bringing forward the back colour while sending to the back the front colour.
Now, it isn't as easy as it sounds and the instructions in the book only gives instructions for five rows (only three decreases). Eventually, I did this by looking out for the already turned stitches (these are difficult to spot when initially turned, but the columns of turned stitches decrease by two each time when counting across, so counting the columns helps here).
The dark colour stitch (the first colour yarn to be knitted through) is turned. During the light colour 'turn', the stitch immediately to the right of the turned dark one is turned. On the wrong side of the work the stitches were worked as they appeared.
I also got bored with pink and so changed to turquoise.
Now that this danger zone has been traversed successfully - although I did drop the stitches off the needle at one point and it took several goes to get the stitches picked up nicely - the rest of the scarf has a much better chance of being completed.
So, having got over my prejudice against headbands, I have produced four quite different pieces, each showing a different technique. Of course, anyone with any sense would have just whipped up a few simple ribbed ones and added a few flowers .... but that would be making things simple for myself!
Whatever to do with the total disasters?
I knitted an owl hat. Lovely, I thought. The intarsia wasn't great, but I was out of practice and it made a good practice piece. A successful run and I could make a couple more.
The idea was sound and looked pretty good in the pattern picture. A simple square hat and the corners stick uppish like feather 'ears'.
I used a different yarn to that specified., but it came together quite well (apart from a few intarsia issues). So far so good.
Then I finished/blocked it - ie threw it in the washing machine. Now, I knew the acrylic yarn would come out lovely and soft, but it came out too soft and drapey. It could be said that I could knit another and not completely block it, or block it at all, but a hat is of no use if you can't just throw it in the washing machine. If I made another, I would have to get a different yarn.
It got put to one side and after two unfortunate outcomes in a row, I had to knit a pig (could be worse!).
But I've come up with an idea - car seat headrest cover!
Facing front: an anti-theft device
Facing back: scare kids in the back seat
Uh oh .... another mini-pig.
But they are just sooo cute.
Update: You can buy him here.
As a bit of fun, I made this "Crazy Chicken Bag" from a pattern I found in an old edition of Knit Today (April 2007, to be precise).
It wasn't difficult. The main body of the bag was made of loops - the same as used in the pirate, witch and wizard hair pieces,
The strap is a simple I-cord.
The eyes, comb and beak are shaped pieces and stuffed.
So, none of it was difficult. But I didn't enjoy it. I can't tell you why not. Just one of those things.
I did change the fastening to a knitted toggle as I don't have a red button, but that was the only change I made
I have shifted my yarn stash to a more convenient location. I can actually now see what I have got, instead of rootling through crates and creating a multi-coloured spider's web. And I finally got rid of the old manky stuff I could never use but couldn't let go of.
Some of this rather unfortunate wool dates back a few years to when Cleopatra found that a box of yarn made a rather nice bed.
My needles are not in the photo, they're in a tool box. My knitting books and magazines have their own shelf in the next room.
And the rule now is: I have to use yarn before I'm allowed to buy any more as there isn't room for a fourth crate in the alcove, or another alcove.
It was chilly this morning. I needed to go out.
So I dug out a jumper/dress I did a couple of years back. It's a basic jumper pattern, lengthened, with stripes (including some in a rather fluorescent red yarn that I happened to have in my stash). The stripes have a couple of rows of reverse stocking stitch, in the centre of each, as a detail. (The make-up around the neckline is an unintentional detail.)
No one commented on my dress sense ....
...... May be people are just too polite .... :-/
The yarn has no give in it. But the solution is simplicity itself - rib it. There are four rows of 1x1 rib in fur on 4mm needles changing to 3.25 mm needles for 6 rows of 1x1 rib in DK. An increase in the middle of the last rib row, and here a KFB is perfect, before changing to 4mm for the rest of the glove.