Uh oh .... another mini-pig.
But they are just sooo cute.
Update: You can buy him here.
Having successfully checked and re-checked the mini-pig pattern, it's time to move on to something else.
The Not-So-Small Child has requested a kitty, so now for a mini-kitty pattern.
Now to halve the measurements for a smaller, cheaper, more saleable piggy.
I've written before about knitting where tension is not an issue. That post is here.
But there are times when tension is very important, usually garments.
My latest project is to be a fluffy pink pig based on Alan Dart's Sirdar pattern which uses predominantly snowflake DK yarn.
Now, the colour (or anything like it) has been discontinued, so an alternative is required.
I went for Sirdar's snowflake chunky instead, which is usually knitted up on 5mm needles.
An adaption of the pattern was required, especially as a plain DK yarn is also used in conjunction.
The tension for snowflake DK on 3mm needles is 26st over 36rows on a standard square, and chunky is 18st over 24rows on 4mm, a simple ratio between the two of 1.4.
Adapting the pattern meant a little maths as both width and length have to be adjusted and also allowing for shaping - sketching things out was very helpful here, especially for the turn rows shaping the top of the head.
So I now had the pattern adapted for the new yarn.
Of course, things were never going to be that easy, not knowing me!
There are TWO errors I made. It would have been a lot easier to sort out one. It would have been even easier had I knitted tension squares to begin with!
First mistake, I inadvertently knitted the snowflake on 3mm needles - I'd been using 3mm needles for just about everything for so long, it seemed natural and I didn't even realise.
Second mistake, I didn't check that the plain DK yarn I was using would knit up without distortion on 3 mm needles. It doesn't.
It would have been so much easier had I simply done this to begin with:
A very important lesson hard learned!