Finally, my elbow healed and back in action.
First task was to finish all the projects that had been left.
1. Brioche Scarf
A bit daunted as I was learning Brioche, but soon got the hang of it again (although the edges weren't too good until I remembered how the threads needed to lie).
2. Owl Jumper
Designed by me, I finished the knitting part before the Brioche scarf, but couldn't be bothered to sew it together until after I'd finished the two scarves.
3. Shetland Lace Scarf
I discovered, when going back to this, that I had left it so close to the finish because I had dropped a stitch somewhere and obviously hadn't been in the mood to pull it back to the lifeline thread.
This done, I finished it, dyed it and dressed it.
I have now managed the syncopated diagonals.
The diagonals slope upward from the left, as knitted.
Essentially, this involved reversing the brioche stitch and bringing forward the back colour while sending to the back the front colour.
Now, it isn't as easy as it sounds and the instructions in the book only gives instructions for five rows (only three decreases). Eventually, I did this by looking out for the already turned stitches (these are difficult to spot when initially turned, but the columns of turned stitches decrease by two each time when counting across, so counting the columns helps here).
The dark colour stitch (the first colour yarn to be knitted through) is turned. During the light colour 'turn', the stitch immediately to the right of the turned dark one is turned. On the wrong side of the work the stitches were worked as they appeared.
I also got bored with pink and so changed to turquoise.
Because of the non-turning/turning, I had to rip back and start again - luckily before I'd got too far.
Then there was the issue of weaving in ends. I initially started doing that after every few rounds or so. Then I'd discover a mistake in the pattern and have to rip back, which is actually quite difficult with ends weaved in. I decided to leave that until the end.
Today, I have spent mostly weaving in ends.
Of course, the mistakes didn't end there; I joined together the wrong handles at first <sigh>
After all that, it might be a while before it gets lined, but it's finished (and so am I for the rest of the day).
Now that this danger zone has been traversed successfully - although I did drop the stitches off the needle at one point and it took several goes to get the stitches picked up nicely - the rest of the scarf has a much better chance of being completed.
So, having got over my prejudice against headbands, I have produced four quite different pieces, each showing a different technique. Of course, anyone with any sense would have just whipped up a few simple ribbed ones and added a few flowers .... but that would be making things simple for myself!
Whatever to do with the total disasters?
I knitted an owl hat. Lovely, I thought. The intarsia wasn't great, but I was out of practice and it made a good practice piece. A successful run and I could make a couple more.
The idea was sound and looked pretty good in the pattern picture. A simple square hat and the corners stick uppish like feather 'ears'.
I used a different yarn to that specified., but it came together quite well (apart from a few intarsia issues). So far so good.
Then I finished/blocked it - ie threw it in the washing machine. Now, I knew the acrylic yarn would come out lovely and soft, but it came out too soft and drapey. It could be said that I could knit another and not completely block it, or block it at all, but a hat is of no use if you can't just throw it in the washing machine. If I made another, I would have to get a different yarn.
It got put to one side and after two unfortunate outcomes in a row, I had to knit a pig (could be worse!).
But I've come up with an idea - car seat headrest cover!
Facing front: an anti-theft device
Facing back: scare kids in the back seat
Uh oh .... another mini-pig.
But they are just sooo cute.
Update: You can buy him here.