I didn't do headbands. I thought they were in the same category as knitted mobile phone covers - something for a beginning knitter to have a go at, but nothing anyone would actually want.
Well, it seems that I was wrong. So, having been asked to knit up some headbands, I thought I'd use the opportunity to practise some techniques and stitches.
Top band - simple 4 stitch cables. During this one I discovered that 'kinked' cable needles are actually quite useful. I usually use a dpn, but I have to admit that getting a couple of cable needles free with a magazine turned out to be pretty good.
The second is a straightforward headband in basket stitch. I rather like the textured effect of the stitch.
Then came some bobble practice, and, boy, did I regret that! They're not difficult, just a right faff if you're doing lots.
Finally, stranded colour work. I found the pirate pattern on someone else's headband pattern and just nicked skull and crossbones part of the chart.