I have been developing a fingerless glove pattern.
To the left is the working prototype that I have ended up with.
Left and right gloves are identical as I have not introduced any patterning (as yet).
I spent some time on the thumb increases.
Most increases are unsatisfactory. Ignoring yarn-over increases completely:
Knitting into front and back of a stitch leaves a bar - this I did not want.
Make one (L or R) leaves a tiny hole (a rather large one if you do it wrong). Although this is fine on a garment that is not likely to be under tension whilst worn, this was not right for the gloves.
I plumped for 'knitting into the stitch beneath and then the stitch' increase (it probably has a proper name). This leaves even less evidence than the 'make-one's. Placing correctly also gave a neat seam on both sides of the thumb.
For an added extra touch, I have added a fur trim below the ribbing. The ribbing is still there for comfort and fit.
Now, me being me, the fur yarn I had in my stash has been discontinued (obviously, as it's Sirdar). (It's Racoon flavour, for information.) Sirdar do Funky Fox now, that may or may not be an alternative, I have not seen it yet.
The yarn has no give in it. But the solution is simplicity itself - rib it. There are four rows of 1x1 rib in fur on 4mm needles changing to 3.25 mm needles for 6 rows of 1x1 rib in DK. An increase in the middle of the last rib row, and here a KFB is perfect, before changing to 4mm for the rest of the glove.