The coat is finally done.
To the left, most of the bits that make up the coat. I say most as I had forgotten to add the pocket flaps when I took the photo.
The sleeves have a line across them in the picture; this is a couple of rows of stocking stitch which makes the turnover of the cuff easier. At this point, I had not added any of the embroidery.
Here we have the coat made up and embroidered. The embroidery consists of "two-strand satin stitch" for the button holes. I didn't quite follow the book's instructions for this. I used a single strand of yarn and stitched each strand separately; there was far too much bulk trying to pass through the fabric otherwise. The buttons are 3-turn French knots. The purists will say that a French knot only has one turn and it should be called something else (probably a bullion). I was more concerned with dragging out of my memory how to do one - very embarrassing considering the number I must have stitched over the years (and far more complicated stitches). My only excuse is that it was getting late and my brain had failed.
Finally, the pirate modelling the finished coat.
Next, the pirate needs more than a coat to cover his modesty (or lack thereof). So the next job is his breeches.
All cast on and ready to go.
No Longer Naked Pirate
Leave a Reply.