The shirt is now done.
As usual, there was an issue with the pattern in the book. If I had followed the pattern as it stood, the RS of the stocking stitch would have reversed at the point where the neck detail begins. After much pondering, wondering whether I should reverse the Ks and Ps to keep the row count the same and so on, I concluded that by far the easiest thing to do was simply add another (uncounted) knit row and continue with the pattern as written.
When adding the collar, the book said it would be a bit tight - it was. It might be worth fishing out some double pointed needles when doing this in future.
TIP - when 'picking up and knitting stitches' I don't use the knitting needle. I use a crochet hook to bring the yarn through the fabric. This makes it easier to place the stitches, and introduce the 'twist' as you put the loop on the needle.
The sleeves are gathered with cords. The only cord thin enough to do this out of the three options in the book (I-cord, chain and twisted) is the twisted. I made up a sample of each to check which would be best and neither of the other two were even remote possibilities.
Here is the pirate modelling the finished shirt:
Next the boots.
All cast on and ready to go.