The instructions for the shoes stated 2.25mm needles. Once I had knitted a sole it was apparent that these were too small. So I knitted them with 3mm needles. A modification I made was the buckle. I was unhappy with the one suggested in the pattern - this was a strand of yarn wrapped around a finger twice and button-hole stitched around - the resulting buckle does not hold its shape. I opted for using button-hole stitched pipecleaners.
There is a mistake (I am sure) in the slipper pattern. I was a little unsure about the stated method of turning the heel - sl1, turn, ytb, sl1, yfwd. This results in large holes (2nd photo). The more usual method - yfwd s1 turn yfwd sl1 - does not (3rd photo). If you sketch it out, the first method means that the yarn crosses over itself, in the second method it does not.
I opted for the second method of turning as I didn't believe the one in the book could possibly be correct.
When the slippers were finished, I added a small jingle bell to the ends. I found the jingle bells on Amazon, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere.
I have flattened out the brim of the hat - I applied some steam from my iron and left it to cool and dry on a flat surface.